Eden Gardens Cricket ground:-
Eden Gardens cricket ground was established in 1864 and is considered one of the famous cricket grounds across the world. This ground is one of the oldest and the 2nd largest cricket ground located in India. The stadium has a capacity of approx. 80k and is located in the cultural capital of India, Kolkata. This ground is also famous as the home ground for the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
The ground hosted its first-ever day/night test match during the 2nd test between India and Bangladesh. Eden Garden is also known as the “Mecca for Indian Cricket” and has witnessed several epic encounters in cricket so far. The 1st recorded test at Eden Gardens was played in 1934 between India and England. And the first One Day International was held between Pakistan and India in 1987.
The crowd of this cricket ground is very emotional towards cricket and never accepts the defeat of their national team. This ground has given India one of the most responsible captain Sourav Ganguly also known as “Dada” and currently he is the president of BCCI.
Eden Gardens cricket ground | Pitch Condition:-
This ground has received the best cricket ground award for 2 times. In the start, the pitch is dangerous for the batting side due to grass on the pitch but reduces the risk for the batsman as the game progress.
The team winning the toss always go for bowl first. This helps the team to reduce the chance of facing some decent seam bowling and face some more loose deliveries in the 2nd innings. More dew in the night also lightens the grip of the spin bowlers.
Pitch behavior in T20 match:-
- T20 Matches 1st Innings Average Score – 136 runs (Based on the average of 5 T20 matches)
- T20 Matches 2nd Innings Average Score – 123 runs (Based on the average of 5 T20 matches)
Pitch behavior in IPL matches:-
- IPL Matches 1st Innings Average Score – 191.8 runs (Based on the average of 5 IPL matches)
- IPL Matches 2nd Innings Average Score – 184 runs (Based on the average of 5 IPL matches)
- The lowest run total in the history of IPL – RCB (49/10)
- This stadium witnessed the highest run total on 28 April 2019. The match was between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians. The total was 232/2. MI has also scored 198/7 After Hardik Pandya Scored 91(34) Deliveries handing KKR its 100th league T20 win.
- The most runs in Test Matches played at this venue are scored by V.V.S. Laxman (1217 runs), followed by Rahul Dravid (962 runs) and Sachin Tendulkar (872 runs). The most wickets taken here were by Harbhajan Singh (46 wickets) followed by Anil Kumble (40 wickets) and Bishen Singh Bedi (29 wickets).
- The highest runs in ODIs scored at this venue by a batsman is by Sachin Tendulkar (496 runs), followed by Mohammed Azharuddin (332 runs) and Virat Kohli (326 runs). The most wickets taken here are by Anil Kumble and Kapil Dev (14 wickets each), followed by Ravindra Jadeja (9 wickets).
- VVS Laxman and Mohammed Azharuddin have scored 5 centuries each at the Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
- The highest individual score posted by an individual in the ODI is 264 runs against Sri Lanka and the player name is Rohit Sharma. Eden Gardens was a privilege to become the witness of this inning.
- On 21 September 2017, Kuldeep Yadav became the third bowler for India to take a hat-trick in an ODI after Chetan Sharma and Kapil Dev. When he took a hat trick against Australia.
In 2021, this ground will not be able to become the home ground for the Kolkata Knight Riders team due to some changes imposed by the cricket federation. But, sure their love and support for the home team will be seen on other matches of the IPL 2021.