West Indies vs Australia 1st ODI Preview.
West Indies vs Australia Highlights
- West Indies and Australia are set to go head to head in their 1st ODI match of the series.
- The match is happening on 21st July at 12:00 am IST.
- These two faces each other in a T20 series last week. West Indies won that series 4-1.
- Australia looks forward to getting some redemption against WI as they gear up for this series.
- In spite of Australia’s poor performance against WI in their T20 series, they have emerged victorious in the previous ODI series against the likes of India and England.
- It’s been a while for WI since they have played an ODI match. The last they played in this format was against Sri Lanka in March 2021.
- WI defeated AUS in their last T20 outing but 4-1 in points. If they carry that momentum into this ODI form of cricket, they would have much success. But they have not played an ODI match in a few months and therefore could be a little rusty. Last time they played it was against Sri Lanka whom they beat 3-0.
- Australia suffered a massive loss against WI in their T20 series. That was a wake-up call for AUS as the T20 World Cup is right around the corner. Prior to that, they defeated the likes of England and India in the ODI series which goes to show their capabilities in this type of cricket. They have a lot riding on this ODI series and it would be a must-watch if you are an Australian fan.
- West Indies have a lot to gain from this series. Their performance against Sri Lanka in their previous ODI match and their battering of AUS in their T20 series gives them an edge over Australia in this series. Keiron Pollard might make his return for the squad but it is still very unlikely. Shai Hope is a key player for WI in this series. He has an outstanding ODI record and is very reliable. He scored more than 50 runs in every match in their series against SL. He even scored a century in one of those matches. Apart from them, Jason Holder is set to return after getting some rest.
- Australia has a knack for performing well in this type of cricket. Aaron Finch is going to miss out on their first match due to a knee injury he picked up recently. Mitchel Marsh is the focus player for their squad making his ODI return in 2020. Matthew Wade will probably start in the absence of Finch and we can even anticipate ODI debuts of Josh Philippe and Ben McDermott.
“Learning from those T20s, we played some good cricket, we had some opportunities to stay alive in the series but unfortunately didn’t quite grab them. Now moving into one-day cricket, the game lengthens out, there’s opportunities to bat time in the middle, a new location, and a new series with the likelihood of some fresh faces, it’s an exciting feel around the group.”
Alex Carey on their ODI series against WI